Slow Cooker Asian Pulled Pork with Pickled Vegetables in Lettuce CupsCreated by Carol Kicinski Back to all recipes
- For the Pork:
- 3 pounds boneless pork shoulder (also called Boston butt)
- 1 cup water
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 5 tablespoons San-J Tamari Soy Sauce
- 2 tablespoons chili garlic paste
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon kosher or fine sea salt
- Juice of 2 limes
- 4-6 tablespoons San-J Asian BBQ Sauce
- For the Pickled Vegetables:
- 2 carrots
- 1 seedless cucumber
- ½ cup rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- ½ teaspoon kosher or fine sea salt
- To Serve:
- Boston lettuce leaves
- Sesame seeds
- Cilantro leaves
Whisk together the water, brown sugar, tamari, chili garlic paste, ginger, pepper, salt, and lime juice. Pour over the pork and cook on low for 12-14 hours (or on high for 8-9 hours) or until the pork falls apart easily. Take the pork out of the cooking liquid, place in a large mixing bowl, and shred with two forks. Pour 4 tablespoons of the Asian BBQ sauce over the meat and toss to coat. Add more BBQ sauce, if needed.
Using a vegetable peeler, slice the carrots and cucumber into thin strips. In a small mixing bowl, combine the rice vinegar, sugar, and salt. Add the vegetables and let it sit at room temperature for up to 30 minutes or cover and refrigerate for up to 1 day.
Serve the pork in lettuce cups, topped with the pickled vegetables, sesame seeds, and cilantro leaves, if desired.
* The Gluten Free recipes that appear in this website incorporate a variety of San-J's products that are Certified Gluten Free. Please be sure to consider the other ingredients to make sure they comply with your dietary needs and restrictions.