Back to all Recipes
Crispy Sushi Waffle with Spicy Tuna
Special DietDairy-Free, Gluten-Free
- 5 cups cooked short-grain Japanese rice
- 1/2 lb sushi-grade or sashimi-grade tuna, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1-2 tbsp Sriracha sauce
- 1 tbsp San-J Citrus Tamari Splash, plus more for serving
- 2 Persian cucumbers, or mini seedless cucumbers, cut into 1/4-inch cubes
- 1 avocado, halved, pitted, peeled, and sliced
- 3 green onions cut into 1/8-inch-thick fine slices, for garnish
- sesame seeds, for garnish
- Heat waffle iron until very hot and lightly coat with olive oil cooking spray. Working in batches, if necessary, add 1 1/4 cups of rice to waffle iron, and cook until golden-brown and crisp, about 4-5 minutes. Rice amount and cook time may vary; follow manufacturer instructions for best results. Repeat with remaining rice if necessary.
- Meanwhile, toss tuna, sriracha and San-J Citrus Tamari Splash together in a medium bowl, until coated.
- Top waffles evenly with tuna mixture. Top with cucumbers, avocado, green onions and sesame seeds. Serve with San-J Citrus Tamari Splash.
Tip: Sushi-grade or sashimi-grade salmon is flash-frozen and held at least -4°F or lower for at least 15 hours, or flash-frozen at -35°F for 15 hours. Sushi-grade or sashimi-grade salmon can usually be found at your local fish market. Feel free to substitute sushi-grade salmon for sushi-grade tuna! Tip: Substitute 3 cups diced seedless watermelon for tuna to create a vegan-friendly recipe!