Back to all Recipes
Marinated Ramen Eggs (Aji Tama)
- 4 large eggs
- 4 tbsp San-J Shoyu or San-J Tamari Soy Sauce
- 3 tbsp Water
- 2 tbsp Mirin
- 1 tbsp Sugar
- Fill a medium pot with water and bring to a boil. Remove eggs from the refrigerator and gently submerge one egg at a time using a spoon or a ladle. Lower the heat to a gentle boil and simmer the eggs for about 7-8 minutes. Meanwhile, prepare an ice bath for when the eggs are done.
- Remove the eggs and place them into an ice water bath to stop cooking. Peel the shell of all eggs. Egg yolk should be runny in the center.
- Combine soy sauce, water, mirin, and sugar in a small saucepan and bring to boil. Reduce the heat and simmer until the sugar is dissolved completely. Turn off the heat and allow to cool.
- Place the cooked, peeled eggs in a resealable plastic bag and add the marinade mixture to the bag.
- Marinate the eggs in the refrigerator for at least 3 hours and up to overnight.
- To serve, take the eggs out from the marinade and cut in half lengthwise. Perfect as an accompaniment to authentic Shoyu Ramen.
These marinated eggs are perfect for a big bowl of ramen! Try them in our recipe for authentic Shoyu Ramen. Make them a day before serving or at least 3 hours ahead to allow all the flavors to fully marinate.