Plant-Based Mapo Tofu
Special DietDairy-Free, Vegan, Vegetarian
OccasionQuick & Easy, Restaurant Favorites, Entertaining
- 3 tbsp San-J Umami Tamari Splash, plus more for serving
- 1 1/2 tsp cornstarch
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 8 oz plant-based burger ground
- 4 oz shiitake mushrooms, stemmed and thinly sliced
- 2 tsp spicy bean sauce
- 1 (1/2-inch) knob ginger, minced
- 1 tsp ground Szechuan peppercorn
- 1 (16-oz) block firm tofu, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced, for garnish
- Whisk San-J Umami Tamari Splash and cornstarch together in small bowl. Set aside.
- Heat oil in large straight-sided skillet or wok over medium-high heat. Add burger ground and cook, breaking up into small crumbles with a wooden spoon until fully cooked, about 5 minutes. Stir in mushrooms, spicy bean sauce, ginger and peppercorn and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Stir in 3/4 cup water and San-J Umami Tamari Splash mixture, and cook, stirring frequently, until sauce thickens, about 1 minute. Add tofu, and stir to coat.
- Garnish with green onions. Drizzle with San-J Umami Tamari Splash and serve.