Special DietDairy-Free, Gluten-Free
CourseAppetizer, Main Course
OccasionRestaurant Favorites, Authentic Japanese
- 1 pound flank steak
- Kosher or fine sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 8 scallions
- 6 tablespoons San-J Teriyaki Sauce divided
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- Cut the flank steak in half making roughly two squares of meat. Place one between two pieces of plastic wrap and pound with a meat pounder or rolling pin until it is about ¼-inch thick. Repeat with the other piece. Sprinkle one side of each piece of meat with some salt and pepper.
- Trim the scallions to fit inside of the meat going the long way. Place 4 scallions on each piece of meat, placing two of the white parts at both ends. Roll the meat around the scallions. Secure with toothpicks or tie with string. Brush with 2 tablespoons of San-J Teriyaki Sauce.
- Heat the oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Brown the steak rolls on all sides, about 1 minute per side. Once browned all over, reduce the heat to low, cover the pan, and cook for 10 minutes, turning once. Remove from the pan and let sit for 5 minutes before slicing. Turn the heat up to medium-high, add the remaining 4 tablespoons of Teriyaki Sauce and cook, stirring, until it thickens into a glaze, 2-3 minutes.
- Remove the toothpicks or string and slice the rolls about ½-inch thick. Brush with the glaze and serve.