Back to all Recipes
OccasionCookouts, Entertaining, Quick & Easy
- 2 cups Uncooked Japanese short grain rice
- 2 1/2 cups Water
- 4 tbsp Rice vinegar
- 2 tbsp Sugar
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1/2 lb. imitation crab sticks or crab meat
- 1 avocado – peeled, pitted, halved, and cut into 12 slices
- 1/2 Persian or English seedless cucumber – cut into 6 long strips
- 3 sheet Nori (seaweed sheets), cut in half, makes 6 sheets
- 3 tbsp Toasted sesame seeds
- San-J Tamari Soy Sauce
- Wasabi Paste
- Rinse the rice in cold water and cook the rice with the water according to he cooking instructions.
- Mix rice vinegar, sugar, and salt in a small pan and heat it until sugar and salt are dissolved or microwave it for 30 seconds. Let it cool.
- Transfer the cooked rice to a large bowl while it’s still hot. Drizzle the vinegar mixture over the hot rice and mix it thoroughly in a folding and slicing motion. Be careful not to smash the rice. Let the seasoned rice cool immediately using a handheld fan or papers. Cover the bowl with a damp kitchen towel to prevent the rice from drying.
- Lay a half-sized nori sheet on a plastic covered bamboo sushi rolling mat.
- With wet fingers, spread a thin, even layer of 1/6 portion of the sushi rice all over the nori sheet. Sprinkle the rice with sesame seeds.
- Carefully flip the nori sheet over so the rice is facing down.
- Place 1/6 portions of the cucumber, avocado, and imitation crab at the bottom of the nori sheet.
- Grab the bottom edges of the sushi mat and roll it into a tight cylinder.
- Gently squeeze the roll over the mat. Put the finished roll on a plate and cover it with a damp kitchen towel. Repeat to make 5 more rolls.
- Cut each roll into 6 to 8 pieces with a sharp knife. Wet the knife with a damp kitchen towel to prevent rice from sticking.
- Serve the sushi rolls with San-J Tamari Soy Sauce and wasabi.
Check out more appetizer recipes.