Back to all Recipes
Special DietDairy-Free, Gluten-Free
- 1 cup chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup San-J Tamari Soy Sauce
- 1/2 cup fresh orange juice (from 1 large orange)
- 4 tbsp fresh lime juice (from 2 large limes)
- 4 cloves garlic, grated or minced
- 2 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, finely minced
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- Kosher or fine sea salt
- black pepper
- 1 (1 1/2 – 2 pound) flank steak
- vegetable oil
Optional for serving
- corn tortillas
- pico de gallo
- diced onions
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine the cilantro, olive oil, Tamari, citrus juices, garlic, chipotles, and seasoning. Whisk to combine. Take out ½ cup, cover and refrigerate until serving time.
- Pour the remaining mixture into a large resealable food storage bag. Add the steak, push out all the air, and seal. Flip the bag several times to coat the meat with the marinade. Marinate for 6-12 hours in the refrigerator. Flip the bag over occasionally.
- Prepare the grill for direct heat and preheat to medium-high. Oil the grates.
- Remove the steak from the marinade, discarding the marinade. Pat the steak dry and season with salt and pepper on both sides. Grill with the lid closed for 6 minutes per side or until it reaches an internal temperature of 130ºF for medium rare.
- Remove from the grill and let rest for 10 minutes. Remove the reserved marinade from the refrigerator and let sit while the steak rests.
- Slice the steak against the grain, pour the reserved marinade over and serve.