Back to all Recipes
Chicken and Vegetable Yakitori
- 1 half-pound boneless skinless chicken thighs cut into 1-inch cubes
- 6 green onions white parts only, cut into 1/2-inch lengths
- 1 green bell pepper cut into 1-inch dice
- 1/4 pound cremini mushrooms wiped clean, halved or quartered if large
- 2 Tablespoons vegetable oil plus more for oiling the grill
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3/4 cup San-J Teriyaki Sauce divided
- 1 teaspoon grated orange zest from 1 orange
- 12 small bamboo skewers soaked in water for 15 minutes, or use metal skewers
- Thread the chicken, green onion, green pepper, and mushrooms onto the prepared skewers, alternating the chicken and vegetables. Leave a bit of space between each piece to encourage even cooking. Transfer the threaded skewers to a plate. Brush the oil over the chicken and vegetables and then sprinkle with the salt and pepper.
- Preheat the grill to medium. Put about 1/3 cup of San-J Teriyaki Sauce in a small bowl for basting. Mix the orange zest with the remaining teriyaki sauce to use as a dipping sauce. Oil the grill racks to keep the chicken from sticking. Grill the skewers, turning occasionally and basting with the reserved teriyaki sauce, until browned and cooked through, about 12 minutes. Serve with the teriyaki-orange dipping sauce.
- Skewer 1 half-pound of large shrimp, cubes of steak, or chicken breast instead of the chicken thighs. And try zucchini, asparagus, or cherry tomatoes instead of the mushrooms, peppers, or onions. You can also choose just one of the vegetables for the skewers instead of all three.
- Adapted with permission from The Gluten-Free Asian Kitchen: Recipes for Noodles, Dumplings, Sauces, and More. Copyright © 2011 by Laura B. Russell. Published by Celestial Arts, an imprint of Ten Speed Press and the Crown Publishing Group, Berkeley, CA. Photo Credit: Leo Gong.
Check out more teriyaki sauce main course recipes.