Back to all Recipes
Chinese Tea Leaf Eggs
Special DietDairy-Free, Gluten-Free, Vegetarian
- 12 large eggs
- 4 cups water
- 1/4 cup San-J Organic Tamari Soy Sauce
- 1/4 cup Chinese black tea leaf
- 3 star anise
- 1/2 teaspoon Chinese five-spice powder
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- Add the eggs in a soup pot and add the water. Bring the water to boil on high heat. Boil the eggs for 10 minutes, make sure that the eggs are completely cooked.
- Transfer the hard-boiled eggs out of the hot boiling water and rinse them with cold water. Using the back of a teaspoon, gently tap the egg shell to crack the shell. Return the eggs to the water and add the remaining ingredients. Bring the tea mixture to a boil and immediately turn the heat to low. Simmer for 2 hours. Add more water if needed.
- Remove the eggs from the mixture and serve warm.
Check out more appetizer recipes.