Coconut Tofu Mongolian TacosCreated by Amie Valpone Back to all recipes
- 1 (14 oz.) package water-packed extra-firm tofu, drained
- 1/2 cup salted peanuts
- 1/2 cup salted cashews
- 1 Tbsp. coconut flakes
- 1/4 tsp. sea salt
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
- 1/2 tsp. chili powder
- 1/2 cup light coconut milk
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 5 Tbsp. San-J Mongolian Sauce, divided
- 1 Tbsp. canola oil
- 8 large gluten-free hard corn taco shells
- 2 cups shredded iceberg lettuce
- 1 medium red onion, diced
- 8 oz. salsa
- 8 oz. Greek plain yogurt or sour cream
- 1/2 cup finely chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/4 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
- Juice of 1 large lime
Cut tofu lengthwise into 4 (1/2 inch) slices. Set aside on a few layers of paper towels to release water for 5-7 minutes, then cut each 1/2 inch slice into three triangle pieces.
Place peanuts and cashews in a food processor and process until nuts are finely ground. In a shallow bowl, add ground peanuts and cashews, coconut flakes, sea salt, pepper and chili powder. Mix well and set aside.
In another shallow bowl, combine coconut milk and egg. Mix well and set aside.
Pour 3 Tbsp. San-J Mongolian Sauce into a separate shallow bowl and set aside.
Heat grill to medium.
Dip tofu pieces into the egg mixture, then dip into the San-J Mongolian Sauce to coat and roll tofu pieces in the peanut and cashew mixture.
Oil the grill grate with canola oil. Add tofu and grill for 2-3 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Remove tofu from grill and drizzle tofu pieces with remaining 2 Tbsp. of San-J Mongolian Sauce and set aside.
Heat taco shells according to package directions. Fill each taco shell with shredded iceberg lettuce, onions and grilled tofu pieces. Top with salsa, yogurt, cilantro and crushed red pepper flakes. Drizzle with lime juice and garnish tacos with additional whole cashews and peanuts, if desired.
Serve warm or at room temperature.
* The Gluten Free recipes that appear in this website incorporate a variety of San-J's products that are Certified Gluten Free. Please be sure to consider the other ingredients to make sure they comply with your dietary needs and restrictions.