Back to all Recipes
Creamy Asparagus and Pea Soup
Special DietDairy-Free, Gluten-Free, Vegan, Vegetarian
- 1 pound Asparagus
- 3 tablespoons Olive oil divided
- Kosher or fine sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 Medium leeks
- 4 Garlic cloves minced
- 10 ounces 2 cups Baby peas, fresh or frozen and thawed
- 2 cups Gluten free vegetable broth
- 1 14-ounce can Coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons San-J Tamari Soy Sauce
- 1 tablespoon Juice of ½ lemon
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Trim the woody ends off the asparagus. Place on a sheet pan. Drizzle with 1 tablespoon olive oil and season with 1 teaspoon salt and ½ teaspoon pepper. Toss to coat and roast for 10 minutes or until tender. Cut into 1-2 inch pieces, saving a few of the tips for garnish.
- Clean the leeks and chop the white and light green parts. Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a stock pot or Dutch oven over medium heat. Add the leeks and cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, for another minute.
- Save a few of the peas for garnish and place the rest in the skillet along with the vegetable broth, coconut milk, 1 teaspoon salt, and ½ teaspoon pepper. Raise the heat and bring to a boil. Pour the mixture into a blender, working in batches if necessary, and blend until smooth. Pour the mixture back into the pot, heat until hot, and stir in San-J Tamari Soy Sauce and lemon juice. Season to taste with additional salt and pepper, if necessary.
- Serve, garnished with reserved asparagus tips and peas.
Check out more soup recipes.