Crunchy Sweet & Sour Chicken
Sweet and sour chicken is by far one of the most popular Asian dishes. With our sweet and sour chicken recipe, you can make this classic meal in the comfort of your own home. Bring out your wok, heat some oil, and get ready to experience a perfect balance of sweet and sour.
We love how this chicken becomes crispy while maintaining a moist and tender interior. Our homemade crunchy creation includes elements like crispy carrots, colorful peppers, and tangy pineapple. Plus, our San-J Sweet and Tangy Sauce helps create a delicious blend of sweet and tart elements. You can serve this dish over steamed white rice at family mealtime or when hosting friends. One thing is for certain — there won’t be leftovers.
Special DietDairy-Free, Gluten-Free
OccasionRestaurant Favorites, Entertaining, Kid-Friendly
- 2 egg yolks
- 2 Tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts, cubed
- vegetable oil for deep frying
- 1 large yellow onion cut into large chunks
- 1 large carrot peeled and bias-cut into slices ¼-inch thick
- 1 small red pepper cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 small orange pepper cut into 1-inch pieces
- 16 ounce can pineapple cubes in natural juice
- 1 Tablespoon cornstarch
- ½ cup San-J Sweet & Tangy Sauce
- 2 celery ribs cut into slices 1-inch thick
- 2 green onions thinly sliced
- 4 cups steamed white rice
How to Make Sweet and Sour Sauce
- Drain the pineapple cubes, reserving the juice.
- Mix together the cornstarch and 1/4 cup of the pineapple juice in a small bowl to form a smooth paste.
- Add the San-J Sweet & Tangy Sauce and stir again until smooth.
How to Make Sweet and Sour Chicken
- Whisk together the egg yolks, 1 tablespoon of water, the cornstarch and salt and pepper until the mixture is very smooth.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a large wok or deep frying pan, filling the pan to at least 2 inches in depth.
- Toss the chicken cubes in the cornstarch mixture and deep-fry in batches until crisp and golden (about 5 minutes). Drain the chicken on paper towels.
- Empty the oil from the wok or frying pan to leave a thin coating in the pan. Stir-fry the onion, carrot and peppers over high heat for 3 minutes, tossing the vegetables as they cook.
- Add drained pineapple cubes to the pan and cook for 1 minute.
- Pour the sweet and sour sauce into the wok and bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring until the mixture thickens.
- Add the celery slices into the pan and simmer for 1 minute.
- Add the chicken pieces and cook for another minute, or until the chicken is heated through.
- Sprinkle with the sliced green onions and serve immediately over the white rice.