Dairy-Free, Gluten-Free, Soy Free
- 3 tbsp olive oil, plus more for brushing grates
- 2 duck breasts
- 2 tbsp Chinese five-spice powder
- 1 tbsp kosher salt, plus more to taste
- 2 tbsp San-J No Soy Tamari, plus more for brushing duck
- 1 lime, juiced; plus 2 limes cut into wedges for serving
- 2 tsp agave syrup or brown sugar, optional
- 1/2 small daikon radish, cut into matchsticks
- 1 medium carrot, cut into matchsticks
- 2 green onions, cut into matchsticks
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro leaves
- 4 avocados, halved, pitted, peeled, and mashed
- 8 corn tostadas
Heat grill to medium heat and brush grates with oil. Pat duck dry and trim off any fat from sides. Score duck skin in a crosshatch pattern at 1/2-inch intervals with a sharp knife. Mix five-spice and salt together in a small bowl. Rub each duck breast with five-spice mixture.
Grill duck breasts, skin-side-down, for 4-6 minutes. Flip duck over and continue to cook for 4-6 minutes, brushing with San-J No Soy Tamari, until internal temperature reaches 140°F for medium, or reaches desired doneness. Rest for 5 minutes before slicing.
Meanwhile, whisk lime juice, San-J No Soy Tamari, olive oil and agave together until combined. Add radish, carrot, green onion and cilantro, and toss to coat. Season with salt, to taste.
Spread mashed avocado evenly over each tostada. Top with radish mixture and duck. Serve with lime wedges and enjoy.
Tip: Substitute duck breasts with chicken breasts!
Tip: Chinese five-spice powder is a common seasoning blend of star anise, cloves, cinnamon, Sichuan peppercorns and fennel seeds. To make your own Chinese five-spice, toast 2 teaspoons Sichuan peppercorns, 5 to 6 whole star anise, 1/2 teaspoon ground clove, 1 tablespoon ground Chinese cinnamon and 1 tablespoon ground fennel seed in a dry pan over medium heat until fragrant, about 1-2 minutes. Transfer to spice grinder and blend into a fine powder. Store in an airtight container for up to 1 year.
* The Gluten Free recipes that appear in this website incorporate a variety of San-J's products that are Certified Gluten Free. Please be sure to consider the other ingredients to make sure they comply with your dietary needs and restrictions.
In this recipe
No Soy Tamari Sauce for Food Service