Ginger Halibut in Cabbage LeavesCreated by San-J Back to all recipes
- 1 ½ pounds halibut fillets or steaks
- 2 Tablespoons San-J Sweet & Tangy Sauce
- 12 Napa cabbage leaves
- 1 Tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 Tablespoons ginger, minced
- ¼ cup shallots, minced
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 Tablespoon fresh mint, minced
- 1 Tablespoon fresh cilantro, minced
- Citrus Sauce Ingredients
- 1 Tablespoon honey
- 1 Tablespoon San-J Sweet & Tangy Sauce
- 4 Tablespoons orange juice
- 1 Tablespoon lemon juice
Cut the halibut into cubes about 1/2-inch in size, place in a glass bowl and add 2 tablespoons of the San-J Sweet & Tangy Sauce. Cover tightly with plastic wrap and marinate in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes or up to 2 hours.
Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil and blanch the cabbage leaves by dipping them into the water until the leaves are soft and pliable, about 3 minutes. Set the drained cabbage leaves aside. In a medium sauté pan, heat the vegetable oil on medium heat and sauté the garlic, ginger, shallots and red pepper until they are soft, about 4 minutes. Toss lightly as the vegetables sauté. Remove the vegetables from the heat and add the fish cubes, mint and cilantro. Toss lightly again to combine thoroughly.
Place two cabbage leaves on a flat work surface, overlapping slightly, to make 6 sets of 2 leaves each. Divide the fish and vegetables evenly among the 6 sets of cabbage leaves. Roll the cabbage leaves, tucking in the sides to form an enclosed roll and secure with toothpicks. Steam the cabbage rolls for 9 minutes or until cooked through. To test, unwrap one roll and flake the fish with a fork. It should flake easily when ready to serve.
Prepare the sauce as the cabbage rolls steam by combining the honey, San-J Sweet & Tangy Sauce, orange juice and lemon juice in a small saucepan. Whisk and heat over medium until the honey is smooth and the sauce is warm. To serve, drizzle the thickened sauce over each cooked halibut roll.
* The Gluten Free recipes that appear in this website incorporate a variety of San-J's products that are Certified Gluten Free. Please be sure to consider the other ingredients to make sure they comply with your dietary needs and restrictions.