Karaage (Japanese Fried Chicken)Created by San-J Back to all recipes
- 2 lbs. Chicken thighs or breast, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 ½ Tablespoons Fresh ginger, grated
- 2 cloves Fresh garlic, grated
- 4 Tablespoons San-J Tamari Soy Sauce
- 2 Tablespoons Sake
- 2 Tablespoons Mirin
- 1 cup Potato starch or corn starch
- Canola or vegetable oil (for frying)
- 1 Lemon
Mix the ginger, garlic, San-J Tamari Soy Sauce, sake, and mirin in a large sealable container or bag. Add the chicken, mix to coat evenly. Seal and marinate the chicken for 30 minutes to 1 hour.
Heat the frying oil to reach 360ºF.
Put the potato starch in a bowl. Add the marinated chicken in small batches, shaking off excess liquid, and tossing to coat each piece evenly.
Shake off excess starch and fry the chicken in batches until the surface is golden brown and the chicken is cooked through. Place the fried chicken on a paper towel lined rack to remove excess oil and serve with lemon wedges.