Back to all Recipes
Karaage (Japanese Fried Chicken)
OccasionAuthentic Japanese, Entertaining
- 2 lbs. Chicken thighs or breast cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 ½ Tablespoons Fresh ginger grated
- 2 cloves Fresh garlic grated
- 4 Tablespoons San-J Tamari Soy Sauce
- 2 Tablespoons Sake
- 2 Tablespoons Mirin
- 1 cup Potato starch or corn starch
- Canola or vegetable oil for frying
- 1 Lemon
- Mix the ginger, garlic, San-J Tamari Soy Sauce, sake, and mirin in a large sealable container or bag. Add the chicken, mix to coat evenly. Seal and marinate the chicken for 30 minutes to 1 hour.
- Heat the frying oil to reach 360ºF.
- Put the potato starch in a bowl. Add the marinated chicken in small batches, shaking off excess liquid, and tossing to coat each piece evenly.
- Shake off excess starch and fry the chicken in batches until the surface is golden brown and the chicken is cooked through. Place the fried chicken on a paper towel lined rack to remove excess oil and serve with lemon wedges.
Check out more Tamari Soy Sauce main course recipes.