Scallion Cakes with San-J Thai Peanut Sauce
- 5 cups flour
- 1 ½ cups boiling water
- 1 ½ tbsp cold water
- salt and pepper to taste
- 8 tbsp unsalted butter softened
- 2 large bunches green onions thinly sliced (about 30)
- vegetable oil for frying
- ¾ cup San-J Thai Peanut Sauce
- Sift the flour into a large mixing bowl and add the boiling water, mixing well. Add the cold water and knead the dough to form a firm ball. Cover and let stand for 15 minutes.
- Place the dough on a lightly oiled surface. Knead several more times and then divide into 6 equal portions. Roll out each portion into a 7-inch circle, using a lightly oiled rolling pin.
- Season each round with salt and pepper to taste. Spread each round with the softened butter. Sprinkle about 1/4 cup of the sliced onions on each round.
- Heat a heavy, flat frying pan until hot. Add 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil. Reduce the heat to low. Fry each cake for 8 minutes, turning once after 4 minutes, until golden brown. Drain the cakes on paper towels.
- To serve, place each cake on an individual appetizer plate and drizzle with 2 tablespoons of San-J Thai Peanut Sauce. Serve immediately.