Back to all Recipes
Japanese Mixed Rice (Takikomi Gohan)
- 3 dried shiitake mushrooms or 8 oz fresh shiitake mushrooms
- 2 1/2 cups water, divided
- 2 1/2 cups Japanese short-grain rice
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 3/4 lbs chicken tenderlion or breast, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 carrot, cut into thin match sticks
- 3 tbsp San-J Tamari Soy Sauce
- 3 tbsp mirin
- 1 tsp Dashi power
- 1 green onion, chopped (optional)
- Soak the dried shiitake mushrooms in ½ cup of water until the mushrooms are rehydrated, about 15 minutes. Omit this step if using fresh shiitake mushroom.
- Rinse the rice until the water runs clear. Drain it well and let it soak in water in a bowl for 30 minutes.
- Squeeze the liquid from the soaked shiitake mushrooms and save the entire soaking and squeezed liquid to use it for cooking rice. The liquid is called shiitake dashi. (Omit this step if using fresh shiitake mushrooms) Remove the stem of the rehydrated (or fresh) shiitake mushrooms and slice the caps.
- Heat oil in a frying pan over medium-high heat, stir fry chicken, carrots, and mushrooms until the chicken is cooked through.
- Drain the rice well and pour it in a pot. Add 2 cups water, ½ cup of shiitake dashi stock, Tamari, mirin, and dashi powder and mix lightly. Put the cooked chicken, vegetables, and mushrooms on top of the rice. If using fresh shiitake mushrooms, just add 2 ½ cups of water without shiitake dashi.
- Cover the pot with a lid and bring the pot to a boil over high heat.
- When you hear the liquid started boiling, turn down the heat to low and cook for about 10 minutes.
- Keep the lid on, turn off the heat, and let the pot rest for another 10 minutes to allow the rice to steam.
- Using a rice paddle, mix the rice, chicken, mushrooms, and the vegetables with a gentle folding and slicing motion until the ingredients are distributed evenly.
- Garnish with chopped green onions if you like and serve.
Check out more Tamari Soy Sauce main course recipes.