Gluten-Free, Low-Sodium, Vegetarian
Main Course, Sandwiches, Burgers, Wraps
- ½ cup walnuts
- 1 15-ounce can black beans, drained, liquid reserved
- ½ cup gluten-free panko breadcrumbs
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon kosher or fine sea salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons San-J Teriyaki Lite divided
- 1 tablespoon vegetable or olive oil
- Gluten-free nonstick cooking spray
- 4 slices canned pineapple
- ½ red onion sliced
- 1 roasted red bell pepper from a jar
- 1/3 cup vegan mayonnaise
- Sriracha sauce optional
- ½ cup cilantro leaves
- 4 gluten-free hamburger buns lightly toasted
Pulse the walnuts in a food processor until finely ground. Transfer to a mixing bowl. Pulse the black beans until coarsely chopped. Add to the walnuts along with the breadcrumbs, onion and garlic powders, salt, pepper, 2 tablespoons San-J Teriyaki Lite, and 3 tablespoons of the reserved bean liquid. Mix well. Shape into 4 equal sized patties and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
While the burgers are chilling, make the accompaniments. Heat a skillet or grill pan over medium-high heat. Cook the pineapple rings for 2-3 minutes per side. Cook the onion slices until browned and softened, about 5 minutes.
Puree the roasted red pepper in a food processor. Stir into the mayonnaise, adding some Sriracha, if desired.
Heat a skillet over medium-high heat. Add the oil and let it get hot. Brush the remaining tablespoon of teriyaki sauce on one side of the burgers. Place sauce side down in the skillet. Cook for 2-3 minutes per side.
To assemble, spread each side of the buns with the mayonnaise. Top with the burgers, pineapple, onion, and some cilantro.
* The Gluten Free recipes that appear in this website incorporate a variety of San-J's products that are Certified Gluten Free. Please be sure to consider the other ingredients to make sure they comply with your dietary needs and restrictions.
In this recipe
– Gluten Free