Whole Braised Holiday CauliflowerCreated by Anya Kassoff, golubkakitchen.com; Photo by Masha Davydov Back to all recipes
- 5 prunes - roughly chopped
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons neutral coconut oil
- 1 large yellow onion - sliced
- 2 medium carrots - diced
- about 6 cups roughly chopped collard greens
- about 3 tablespoons Tamari Soy Sauce - divided
- 1 lb crimini mushrooms - quartered
- 5 garlic cloves - sliced
- 1 chili pepper - seeded and chopped
- 3-4 sprigs thyme - chopped
- about 2 tablespoons chopped rosemary
- handful sage leaves - chopped
- freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- two 28 oz boxes/cans of crushed tomatoes
- 1 large cauliflower head - outer leaves trimmed
Servings: 4 as a side
Drizzle prunes with balsamic vinegar in a small bowl and set aside.
Warm coconut oil in a large pot over medium high heat. Add onion, carrots, collard greens and a splash of San-J Tamari Soy Sauce and sauté for 10 minutes, until onion is translucent and collard greens are wilted.
Add mushrooms and sauté for about 8 minutes, until all their liquid is evaporated.
Add garlic, chili, thyme, rosemary, sage and black pepper and saute for 2-3 minutes.
Add prunes together with balsamic vinegar, followed by 2 tablespoons San-J Tamari Soy Sauce and tomato paste and stir around until the liquid evaporates, about 1 minute. Add crushed tomatoes, stir to combine and bring to a near boil. Carefully drop cauliflower into the sauce and spoon plenty of sauce on top of the cauliflower to coat it completely. Stir some of the vegetables out from under the cauliflower to ensure that it's covered with the sauce as much as possible. The top of the cauliflower may peek out a little and that's ok.
Bring the sauce back to a boil, adjust the heat to a slow simmer, cover and cook for 40-50 minutes, until the cauliflower is completely cooked and soft throughout. Scoop the simmering sauce over the cauliflower every now and then while it's cooking.
Remove the cauliflower from the pot, slice and serve it warm with plenty of sauce, over vegetable mash or any grains of choice.
* The Gluten Free recipes that appear in this website incorporate a variety of San-J's products that are Certified Gluten Free. Please be sure to consider the other ingredients to make sure they comply with your dietary needs and restrictions.