Winter Spring RollsCreated by Carol Kicinski Back to all recipes
- 8 teaspoons San J Tamari Lite – divided
- 4 Tablespoons honey – divided
- 2 small cloves garlic, finely minced or grated – divided use
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 14 ounces firm tofu, drained and dried with paper towel
- 1 – 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 8 ounces mushrooms, cleaned and sliced
- 12 (9 inch) round rice paper wrappers
- 12 small red lettuce leaves
- 1 small red pepper, thinly sliced
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and cut into 3 inch strips
Combine 2 teaspoons San-J Tamari Lite with 1 Tablespoon honey, 1 clove garlic, and the pepper.
Cut the tofu into 6 equal slices and place on a plate. Brush both sides of the tofu with the tamari honey sauce and let marinate for 15 minutes to 1 hour. Discard any remaining marinade.
Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat, add 1 Tablespoon olive oil, heat for a few seconds and add the mushrooms. Cook until the mushrooms are browned and all the liquid is absorbed, about 8 minutes. Remove the mushrooms from the pan and let cool. Add a little more oil if needed and cook the tofu until browned – about 2 – 3 minutes per side. Cut the tofu slices in half lengthwise.
Fill a large bowl with hot water. Dip one rice paper into the hot water for about 3 seconds. The paper should be pliable but not so sticky it sticks on itself. It will become more pliable as it sits. Place the rice paper on a flat work surface and fold it in half. Place a lettuce leaf an inch or two in from the side of the rice paper with the lettuce sticking out of the flat side a little. Place two pieces of tofu, two slices of red pepper, two carrot strips, and some mushrooms on top of the lettuce per roll. Tuck and roll the rice paper over the ingredients letting some show out the flat top of the roll. Continue with the remaining rice papers and ingredients.
In a small mixing bowl, combine the remaining 6 teaspoons San-J Tamari Lite, 3 Tablespoons honey and garlic clove. Whisk to combine. Pour into a small serving bowl. Serve the sauce for dipping with the spring rolls.
* The Gluten Free recipes that appear in this website incorporate a variety of San-J's products that are Certified Gluten Free. Please be sure to consider the other ingredients to make sure they comply with your dietary needs and restrictions.