Crunchy Sweet & Sour ChickenCreated by San-J Back to all recipes
- 2 egg yolks
- 2 Tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cubed
- vegetable oil for deep frying
- 1 large yellow onion, cut into large chunks
- 1 large carrot, peeled and bias-cut into slices ¼-inch thick
- 1 small red pepper, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 small orange pepper, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 16 ounce can pineapple cubes in natural juice
- 1 Tablespoon cornstarch
- ½ cup San-J Sweet & Tangy Sauce
- 2 celery ribs, cut into slices 1-inch thick
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- 4 cups steamed white rice
Whisk together the egg yolks, 1 tablespoon of water, the cornstarch and salt and pepper until the mixture is very smooth. Heat the vegetable oil in a large wok or deep frying pan, filling the pan to at least 2 inches in depth. Toss the chicken cubes in the cornstarch mixture and deep-fry in batches until crisp and golden (about 5 minutes). Drain the chicken on paper towels. Empty the oil from the wok or frying pan to leave a thin coating in the pan. Stir-fry the onion, carrot and peppers over high heat for 3 minutes, tossing the vegetables as they cook. Drain the pineapple cubes (reserving the juice), add to the pan and cook for 1 minute.
Mix together in a small bowl, the cornstarch and 1/4 cup of the pineapple juice to form a smooth paste. Add the San-J Sweet & Tangy Sauce and stir again until smooth. Pour the sauce into the wok and bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring until the mixture thickens.
Add the celery slices into the pan and simmer for 1 minute. Add the chicken pieces and cook for another minute, or until the chicken is heated through. Sprinkle with the sliced green onions and serve immediately over the white rice.
* The Gluten Free recipes that appear in this website incorporate a variety of San-J's products that are Certified Gluten Free. Please be sure to consider the other ingredients to make sure they comply with your dietary needs and restrictions.