Back to all Recipes
Spring Rolls with Spicy Ginger Sauce
Special DietDairy-Free, Gluten-Free
- Spring Rolls:
- 2 Tablespoons cooking oil
- 4 green onions white and green part, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic finely grated
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger finely grated
- ½ pound ground pork
- 3 cups very thinly sliced cabbage 1/2 small cabbage
- 1 large carrot grated
- 6 large shitake mushroom caps diced
- ½ pound raw shrimp peeled and deveined
- 2 Tablespoons San-J Tamari
- 1 Tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- ½ teaspoon kosher or fine sea salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 12 8 – 9 inch rice paper wrappers (also called spring roll wrappers)
- 1 large bunch fresh basil or mint
- 12 long chives – optional
- ¼ cup San-J Tamari
- ¼ cup vinegar
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons fresh ginger finely grated
- 1 red or green hot chili pepper thinly sliced
- To make the spring rolls, heat cooking oil in a large skillet or wok over high heat then add the green onions, garlic and ginger and cook, stirring constantly, for 30 seconds or until fragrant. Add the pork and cook until no longer pink, 2 – 3 minutes. Add the cabbage, carrots and mushrooms and cook, stirring frequently, until they soften, 2 -3 minutes. Add the shrimp and cook, stirring, until opaque, 1 – 2 minutes.
- Add the San-J Tamari, rice vinegar, sesame oil, sugar, salt and pepper and cook for 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Line a rimmed baking sheet with a double thickness of paper towels and spread the mixture in a single layer on the paper towels to drain and cool. Blot the top of the filling with more paper towels.
- Lay a clean kitchen towel on a work surface and have a large bowl of hot water nearby. Dip the rice paper rolls into the hot water just until they begin to become pliable, about 10 – 15 seconds. Lay the rice paper on the towel, place 3- 4 basil or mint leaves in a line in the lower third of the paper, top with ¼ cup of filling. Bring the lower part of the rice paper over the filling tightly and roll, tucking the sides of the paper over the filling. If desired, tie a chive around the center. Place spring rolls on a platter. Can be made several hours ahead, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate.
Check out more appetizer recipes.