Oyako Donburi (Chicken & Egg with Rice)Created by San-J Back to all recipes
- 1 Tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 large white onion, thinly sliced
- 5 fresh or reconstituted shiitake mushrooms, thinly sliced
- ½ pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, thinly sliced
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 ½ cups second dashi or chicken stock
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 4 Tablespoons mirin
- 4 Tablespoons San-J Gluten Free Tamari
- 4 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 4 mitsuba sprigs, root removed, leaves roughly chopped (optional)
- 4 cups steamed Japanese rice
Place the oil in a medium sauté pan and cook the onion and mushrooms for 1 minute, stirring as the onion becomes translucent. Add the chicken and cook until golden, about 2 minutes. Add salt, dashi or stock, sugar, mirin and San-J Gluten Free Tamari. Stir well to combine. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Pour the lightly beaten eggs into the hot mixture and add the mitsuba. Stir, cover and simmer until the eggs are cooked, about 1 to 2 minutes.
To serve, scoop the warm Japanese rice into 4 individual bowls and ladle the chicken and egg sauce over top of the rice. Serve immediately and pass additional San-J Gluten Free Tamari at the table.