Back to all Recipes
Savory Tamari Meatloaf
- 2 large yellow onions finely chopped
- 2 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves minced (you may substitute ½ teaspoon dried thyme)
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1/3 cup San-J Gluten Free Tamari
- ¾ cup beef or chicken broth
- 1 ½ teaspoons tomato paste
- 5 pounds lean ground beef
- 1 ½ cups plain bread crumbs
- 3 extra large eggs beaten
- 1 teaspoon fresh parsley minced (you may substitute ½ teaspoon dried parsley)
- ¾ cup ketchup
- In a medium sauté pan, cook the onions, olive oil, salt, pepper and thyme over medium-low heat until the onions are translucent, but not browned, approximately 15 minutes. About 2 minutes before the onions are completely cooked, add the minced garlic and stir to combine. Add the San-J Gluten Free Tamari, broth and tomato paste and mix well. Remove the onions from the heat and allow the onions to cool to room temperature.
- Preheat the oven to 325°F. Combine the ground beef, bread crumbs, eggs, parsley and onion mixture in a large bowl. Toss and mix until just combined and shape into a rectangular loaf. Place the loaf in an ungreased rectangular 9″ x 13″ glass or metal pan. Spread the ketchup evenly over the top of the meatloaf and bake for 1 1/2 hours, or until the internal temperature is 160°F when tested with a meat thermometer. Remove the meatloaf from the oven and let stand for 5 minutes. Slice into portions about 1/2-inch thick and serve immediately.
Check out more Tamari Soy Sauce main course recipes.