Chicken Lettuce Cups
- 1 Tablespoon cooking oil
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic 2 – 3 cloves
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger finely grated
- 4 green onions finely sliced on the diagonal
- 1 pound ground chicken
- 1 cup grated carrot 2 – 3 carrots
- 1 8- ounce can whole water chestnuts cut into ¼ inch dice
- 6 Tablespoons San-J Asian BBQ Sauce plus more for serving
- 1 large head Boston Bibb lettuce – leaves separated washed and dried
- Optional Garnish:
- 1 skein 2 ounces mung bean vermicelli
- Cooking oil
- Kosher or fine sea salt
- Heat a large skillet or wok over high heat. Add the 1 tablespoon cooking oil, heat for a minute then add the garlic, ginger and 2 sliced green onions. Cook for 30 seconds or until very fragrant, stirring constantly. Add the chicken and cook through, stirring frequently, about 8 minutes. Add the remaining 2 green onions, the carrots and the diced water chestnuts. Cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Add 6 tablespoons San-J Asian BBQ Sauce, stirring until heated through – about 30 seconds.
- To make the garnish, place paper towels on a dinner plate. Using your hands, gently pull the mung bean vermicelli noodles apart into smaller portions. Heat 2 inches of oil in a small saucepan or wok (the smaller the pan, the less oil you will need) to 375°F (rippling but not smoking). Fry one small handful of noodle at a time until they puff up – 5 – 10 seconds. Remove from oil with tongs or a strainer – place on the prepared plate and sprinkle with a little salt.
- To serve dip the back of a spoon into a small bowl of San-J Asian BBQ Sauce, spread into a lettuce leave, spoon in some filling and top with the fried mung bean noodles if desired.