Back to all Recipes
Pan-Seared Ahi Tuna Steaks
OccasionQuick & Easy, Authentic Japanese, Entertaining, Holidays
- Tuna Steak Ingredients:
- 4 8- ounce fresh tuna steaks cut about 1-inch thick
- 2 Tablespoons vegetable oil divided
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup untoasted sesame seeds
- Tamari-Ginger Sauce Ingredients:
- ¼ cup San-J Gluten Free Tamari
- 1/8 cup rice vinegar
- 1/8 cup fresh lime juice
- 3 Tablespoons sugar
- 2 green onions thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons fresh ginger minced
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- ½ teaspoon dried red pepper flakes
- Pat the tuna steaks very dry using paper towels. Using 1 tablespoon of the vegetable oil, rub both sides of each steak and season with salt and pepper. Pour the sesame seeds onto a shallow plate or dish. Coat each side of the steaks with the sesame seeds by pressing the fish into the seeds.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of the vegetable oil in a nonstick sauté pan over high heat until the oil is very hot and just about to smoke. Add the tuna steaks and sear Ahi for 45 seconds without moving the steaks. Reduce the heat to medium and continue to cook for another 1 1/2 minutes. Flip the steaks over and cook for another 2 minutes for rare tuna steaks, or 3 minutes for medium-rare. Cut the steaks on the diagonal into 1/4-inch thick slices. Plate the tuna steak slices on a platter lined with lettuce leaves.
- Prepare the dipping sauce by whisking together in a small bowl the San-J Gluten Free Tamari, vinegar, lime juice, sugar, green onions, ginger, sesame oil and red pepper flakes. Whisk vigorously to blend. Serve immediately with the pan seared tuna steaks.
Check out more Tamari Soy Sauce main course recipes.