Back to all Recipes
Vietnamese Noodle Bowls
Main IngredientBeef, Pasta & Noodles, Pork, Poultry
OccasionCookouts, Quick & Easy
FOR THE GRILLED SKEWERS:
- 1/2 pound thinly sliced pork chicken, or beef
- 1/4 cup San-J Asian Cooking Sauce flavor of your choice
- wooden bamboo skewers soaked in water for 20 minutes
FOR THE DIPPING SAUCE:
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 cup warm water
- 1 small clove garlic very finely minced
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- fresh Asian chile minced (amount up to you)
FOR THE NOODLE BOWLS:
- 8 ounces thin rice noodles
- 1 cup julienned carrot
- 1 cup julienned jicama
- 1 cup julienned Japanese cucumber
- 1 cup bean sprouts roots pinched off
- 2 cups shredded or baby lettuces
- Handful of fresh cilantro
- Handful of fresh Thai basil
- Handful of fresh shiso
- 1/2 cup chopped roasted peanuts
- fresh lime wedges
- In a large bowl, add the thinly sliced meat and San-J Asian Cooking Sauce. Mix to coat. Marinate for 20 minutes or up to overnight in the refrigerator.
- For the dipping sauce, in a small bowl, whisk together the warm water with sugar until dissolved. Whisk in rest of the ingredients for the dipping sauce. You can do this ahead of time, up to overnight.
- Bring a big pot of water to a boil. Add in the dried rice noodles, and cook for 3-4 minutes, until the noodles are tender and opaque white. Immediately drain and rinse with cool water to stop the cooking. Rice noodles will be gummy if overcooked. Set aside until ready to serve. Arrange the rest of the vegetables on large platters, and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- About 15 minutes prior to go-time, pre-heat the grill. Skewer the meat onto the soaked bamboo skewers. Grill the skewered meat, 4 minutes each side over high heat, until cooked through. Please note that pork and chicken should no longer be pink in the middle. I prefer the beef to be slightly caramelized on the edges, but still tender and medium in the center. Timing will depend on how thinly you slice the meat.
- Serve the rice noodles, grilled meats, fresh vegetables, herbs, peanuts, lime and dipping sauce, family style. Each person can assemble their own bowls.
Check out more Mongolian sauce main course recipes.
Ratings & Reviews