Plant-based Miso Ramen Bolognese
Special DietDairy-Free, Vegan, Vegetarian
Main IngredientPasta & Noodles
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small leek white and tender green portions only; chopped
- 8 oz shiitake mushrooms de-stemmed and finely chopped
- 1 medium carrot finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 lbs plant-based ground burger
- 1 28-oz can tomato sauce
- 1 cup low-sodium vegetable broth
- 3 tbsp red miso paste
- 3 tbsp San-J Tamari Soy Sauce
- 2 cups packed baby spinach
- 2 10-oz packages fresh wavy ramen noodles
- 4 green onions thinly sliced
- Heat oil in large pot over medium-high heat. Add leek and cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, about 3-5 minutes. Stir in mushrooms and carrots, and cook until mushrooms are dry and start to brown, about 8-10 minutes. Stir in garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add plant-based burger ground and saute, breaking up into small crumbles with a wooden spoon as it cooks. Cook until fully browned, about 8 minutes.
- Stir in tomato sauce, broth, miso and San-J Tamari Soy Sauce. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, stirring occasionally, until sauce thickens, about 20 minutes. Add spinach and cook until wilted, about 5 minutes.
- Cook ramen according to package directions, reserving 1/2 cup cooking liquid. Drain. Toss ramen with sauce, adding cooking liquid to thin out sauce, if necessary. Top with green onions and serve.
- Substitute soba or rice noodles for ramen noodles to create a gluten-free alternative!